Thursday, December 15, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic

I know you don't want to hear people unhappy with SWTOR, but let me vent my frustration here just one more final time. If possible I'm liking it even less than the beta. Republic Trooper story is horrible so far compared to Empire Bounty Hunter, and having played Mass Effect a lot in the last 2 weeks only made things worse. All my other qualms stay, clunky interface, bland combat, horrible encounters, poor dungeons, pathetic itemization, sad ugly empty and cardboardy world, utterly subpar questing, lack of customization, poor visuals, terrible pvp, ...but at least the storytelling was great. While now, I feel that once again we set our bar so very low just because "it's an MMO", cause what we have here, storytelling-wise, is a cheap version of stuff that this same software house was doing about 5 years ago.

Also, this is certainly me, but the whole design of the game makes it hard for me to play it with people considering that I want to follow the story and listen to the dialogues but everyone chattering in TeamSpeak/Ventrilo inevitably take away from the cinematic (?) mood of it. As a result, either we quest together and everyone pressures you into clicking as fast as possible (or they just talk over stuff, see above), or I turn voice chat off and play it as a single player which doesn't hold a candle to much much older titles.

This game could have been awesome, epic, great. They had the tools, the people and the money to make it. It's depressing to see how generally disappointing the final product is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home